14 What kind of gymnastics you have to do
Is gymnastics important to me? What kind of exercises should I do? How many times per week should I practice them? Can I do them at home, outdoors or go to a gym? How should I start? Do I need a doctor checkup? These are some of the questions we have in our mind when we decide to start an exercise program.
Doing exercises is the best way to keep you healthy, happy and motivated for your daily tasks. It helps a lot with cancer. There are four kinds of exercises we should practice. These are: stretching, lift weight, aerobics, and balance. We should start them increasing the repetitions or increasing the time little by little.
You have to practice them where is easier and more comfortable for you. If you are over 50 or you do not exercise for more than six months is recommendable to have a doctor check up.
What about the kind of exercises? This point is essential. They are:
– Stretching. “This is an important part of fitness: It can improve your range of motion, increase circulation, and calm your mind, which may help fend off injuries and illness, as well as bring on a better night’s sleep.” (1) You can search for stretching exercises in Google.
– Lift weight. “These exercises that ask muscles to do more work strengthen muscles. Muscles need to be exercised to maintain their strength. Much of the disability and lack of mobility for people with chronic illness is due to muscle weakness.” (2)
– Aerobics. “These are walking, swimming, dancing, and riding a bike. Aerobic exercise promotes a sense of well-being, eases depression and anxiety, promotes restful sleep, and improves mood and energy levels.” (2) These advantages are the best for the people with cancer. We talked about them in our post “Important recommendations for people with cancer.” You can see the link in our bilingual blog: http://successwithcancer.ca/recommendations-recomendaciones/7-important-recommendations-for-people-with-cancer/
– Balance. “Good balance helps keep you from falling. Strong and coordinated muscles in your trunk and legs are an important part of the good balance. Stretching, lift weight and aerobics also contribute to balance. They are also other causes of falls.” (2)
It is important to practice these four kinds of exercises every week. It is better to have a program made by an instructor suited to your needs. It is not good to practice them in a way without order since this will not benefit you. And also it is possible you will quit without having a specific goal and program to exercise. It is recommended to do aerobic exercise for at least 150 minutes a week, and the lift weight exercise at least two days a week.
Follow this advice on exercising, and you will feel better each day. Your moods will improve, and you will confront any sickness mainly cancer in a better way. Do not quit doing exercises. Some days, as always, you will feel tired and do not want to exercise. Rest that day but the next day continues with your program. The benefits of doing gymnastic are immense. Share your experiences to help other people.
(1) Sharon Liao. “6 Full-Body Stretching Exercises”
(2) Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions. Canadian Edition.